There is a clear governance structure in place at the HRB Centre for Diet and Health Research. Work is coordinated by the Principal Investigator, Professor Ivan Perry, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College, Cork. Prof. Perry is the Chair of the Project Executive Management Group which is composed of the PIs and Co-PIs participating in the project. The Scientific Advisory Group, Chaired by Professor Harry Rutter of the National Obesity Observatory in the UK, is composed of leading experts in Public Health.
There are six new cross cutting work packages (WP’s) with each work package having a core leadership group and are led by Co-Principal Investigators at University College Cork, University College Dublin, and the Institute for Public Health in Ireland. These are;
- Work package 1- Disease burden and population health modeling: Dr Zubair Kabir, Professor Kevin Balanda and Prof Ivan Perry, Prof Cecily Kelleher.
- Work package 2-Exposure and outcome measurement in public health nutrition: Dr Catherine Philips, Prof Ivan Perry, Dr Janas Harrington, Ms Fiona Geaney, Dr Mary McCarthy, Professor Pat Wall,
- Work package 3-Diet, obesity and health across the lifecourse: Prof Patricia Kearney, Prof Ivan Perry, Dr Janas Harrington, Dr Catherine Philips, Prof fergus Shanahan, Prof Cecily Kelleher, Prof Fionnuala McAuliffe, Dr Mary McCarthy, Prof Pat Wall, Dr Janas Harrington, Dr Frances Shiely
- Work package 4-Interventions in public health nutrition: Ms Fiona Geaney, Prof Ivan Perry, Dr Grace O’Malley, Dr Sinead Murphy, Dr Frances Shiely, Dr Janas Harrington, Dr Phil Jennings, Dr Donal O’Shea, Dr John Meghan, Dr Mary McCarthy, Prof Pat Wall
- Work package 5-Evaluation frameworks in public health nutrition: Prof Kevin Balanda, Prof Harry Rutter, Prof Ivan Perry, Prof Patricia Kearney, Prof Cecily Kelleher, Ms Fiona O’Shea
- Work package 6-Knowledge transfer and dissemination:
The Executive Management Group is chaired by the Principal Investigator (Prof. Ivan Perry, UCC) and is composed of the PI and Co-PI for each of the Work Packages. UCC has the overall contractual responsibility for the project. The role of the Executive Management Group is to coordinate the research activities across the project and ensure excellence in the scientific and technical work. At operational level, the Work Package Leaders (Co-PIs) ensure the scientific monitoring and coordination of their research group and collaborators.
Scientific Advisory Group Members include:
- Professor Harry Rutter, Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee
- Dr Cliodhna Foley-Nolan, Director of Human Health and Nutrition, Safefood
- Dr Francis Finucane, Consultant Endocrinologist, Galway University Hospitals
- Dr Nazih Eldin, Head of Health Promotion Dublin North East, HSE
- Professor Frank Kee, Director, UKCRC Centre of Excellence for Public Health (NI)
- Professor Mark Gilthorpe, Professor of Statistical Epidemiology and Institute Director, Biostatistics, Leeds University
- Professor Kurt Widhalm, Professor for Clinical Nutrition and Pediatrics, University of Vienna
- Professor Ivan Perry, Principal Investigator, UCC
- Professor Cecily Kelleher, School of Public Health, Physiotherapy & Population Science UCD.
- Professor Fionnuala McAuliffe, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, UCD
- Dr Kevin Balanda, Institute of Public Health
- Dr Mary McCarthy, Department of Food Business and Development, UCC
- Dr Catherine Philips, School of Public Health, Physiotherapy & Population Science UCD, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, UCC
- Dr Zubair Kabir, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, UCC
- Ms Dervla Hogan, UCC, Centre Co-ordinator